The Boxing Diary

Views and Opinions

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Klitschko-Fury new schedule likely on November 28

The likely new date for the Klitschk0-Fury heavyweight fight will be on November 28. The official confirmation is expected next week.

It was reported on Friday, and later Klitschko confirmed from his Instagram post that he was forced to pull out the scheduled October title defense due to a 'minor injury.

Klitschko, 39, suffered an injury to his left calf while training on Thursday.

The postponement was not new to Fury, 27, who had three other scheduled fights in the past that were delayed. But this fight is very important for the UK fighter because a win would eventually put his name on the pound-for-pound list.

Tomasz Adamek dominates, stops Przemyslaw Saleta in Poland

 
Tomasz Adamek was simply too fast for the 47 years old Przemyslaw Saleta to catch up. Adamek was landing at will almost everything he threw on Saleta the entire fight. At the end of Round 5, Saleta's corner called the referee's attention and told them that he's unable to continue the fight.

Adamek (50-4, 30 KOs) was using the entire ring to frustrate the bigger but slower and older opponent. He was well ahead of the scorecards. Adamek, 38, was able to land crisp jabs and hard rights to the stalking Saleta while using the ring to his advantage.

It was a good decision on Saleta's part not to continue as he really doesn't have the steam to at least make the fight competitive. I think Saleta (44-8, 22 KOs) should hang the gloves for good before something bad will happen to his health and can no longer enjoy retirement.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Wladimir Klitschko pulls out title defense against Tyson Fury due to 'calf injury'

Following an entertaining press conference earlier, there's a report circulating around social media that Klitschko has pulled out from the scheduled October 24 fight against Tyson Fury due to 'calf injury.

This report has been circulating for a short while on social media but there's no official confirmation yet.

Update: Klitschko posted on his Instagram and confirmed that he will not be able to fight on October 24 due to an injury. The fight will be postponed to a date to be determined later.

Klitschko said that he suffered a 'minor injury' during Thursday's training sessions.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Donaire apologizes to UK boxing fans for not getting Quigg fight

Nonito "The Filipino Flash Donaire" went to social media to apologize to his UK fans for not getting the Scott Quigg fight done. The 32-year old fighter from California was gunning for a showdown with the undefeated Quigg after winning his last two bouts by knockout since moving back super bantamweight division.

Nicholas Walters defeated Donaire in the featherweight division in October last year.

Donaire said that Quigg and his team "decided not to sign [contract] after months of negotiations", but he's still hopeful that one day he'll fight in the UK.

I personally like the fight to happen especially if it will take place in Dubai. Both men have supporters in the Emirates. There were significant numbers of Filipinos and British ex-pats in Dubai. Apart from that, there's a direct flight from UK and Philippines going to Dubai. And of course, it is also one hour and 30 minutes flight from Kuwait, which I might have a chance to watch live.

Anyway, what's stunning also is that Quigg, according to Donaire, is not fighting rival Carl Frampton either. He said that Frampton is fighting Shingo Wake - another solid contender at super bantamweight.

In another report, promoter Eddie Hearn mentioned that the Frampton-Quigg fight is very close. But according to Niall Doran of Boxingnewsandviews.com, the fight is possible in 2016.


I want to apologize to my UK fans. I really did try to make the Quigg fight. I agreed to all the terms but when it...

Posted by Nonito Donaire Jr. on Thursday, September 24, 2015


Tyson "Batman" Fury


Tyson Fury surprised boxing fans and media present during the press conference of his fight with Vladimir Klitschko. The 27 year old fighter from Bolton came out dressed as Batman. Apart from his vaunted mouth power in trash talking this recent posterity stunt proved Fury indeed entertaining.

However Klitschko had a different assessment. He insisted that his challenger for his October 24 title defense is mentally ill. He branded Fury a "bipolar psychopath". 

But I think, Fury should not be treated like that. Fury did his thing to promote the fight. He's doing extra efforts which is not required. But it actually helped promote the fight. Otherwise yesterday's presscon will be just another presscon in boxing. If he keeps doing like that I would admire him, but not with his below the belt trash-talking.

Boxing superstar Canelo Alvarez reflects on the road to HBO on the anniversary of his exclusive deal with the network


LOS ANGELES (Sept. 24, 2015)-It was one year ago that Golden Boy Promotions Chairman and CEO Oscar De La Hoya, HBO Sports President Ken Hershman, and Mexican superstar boxer Canelo Álvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) hosted a press conference in Los Angeles to announce a major new agreement granting HBO Sports exclusive rights to televise Canelo's fights in the U.S.

Canelo's road to HBO was paved by his perseverance and desire to become one of boxing's best. He has never shied away from fighting the toughest fighters in his quest for greatness, earning the respect of fans, media, and even his rivals. On May 9, 2015, Canelo made his first appearance on HBO Sports since announcing his exclusive deal with the network and secured an impressive victory over the dangerous James "Mandingo Warrior" Kirkland before a crowd of more than 31,000 screaming fans at Minute Maid Park in Houston. Canelo vs. Kirkland registered the highest viewership for an HBO World Championship Boxing event since 2006 generating an average of 2.1 million views for the live airing of the event.

"I am pleased to celebrate my first anniversary with HBO. HBO is my family, and I am glad to be home. Together, we will continue to make history. I look forward to celebrating many anniversaries together with all my family members at Golden Boy Promotions and HBO. I will continue producing the best possible fights for my fans and will blindly dedicate myself to my best performances every time," Canelo Álvarez said.

"The fans absolutely love Canelo. They are loyal and are the most passionate fans of any fighter in the sport of boxing today. Canelo's exciting fighting style keeps them coming back, and he works hard to not let them down, both inside and outside of the ring. HBO is the best network for boxing, hands down, so I knew it would be the right home for Canelo and the best way for his fans to see him in action," said Oscar De La Hoya.

"HBO Sports is thrilled to be the U.S. television home of Canelo Alvarez," said Ken Hershman, President of HBO Sports. "He is one of the sport's brightest superstars and our platform is ideally suited to maximize all of his goals and dreams. At only 25 years old he has so many incredibly exciting chapters ahead of him. We at HBO are looking forward to being an integral part of what will be a historic career."

Canelo is a knockout artist known for his tremendous power and durability against the toughest opponents in the ring who made his professional debut at 15-years-old and quickly became one of the most popular fighters in the sport. His fan base spread quickly in his home country of Mexico as his style captured and enthralled fans. His fan base exploded, crossing the border in to the U.S. and ultimately spreading around the world. Canelo's good looks and charisma outside the ring attracted a legion of fans from around the world rooting for him every step of the way on his journey to the top.

A former world champion, Canelo is eager to once again hold a title and will get the opportunity again on Saturday, Nov. 21 when he faces reigning WBC, Ring Magazine and Lineal Middleweight World Champion Miguel Cotto in a classic Mexico vs. Puerto Rico rivalry battle. The event will take place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View. The epic battle is being called by many the most anticipated fight of 2015 and will also mark Canelo's first Pay-Per-View appearance since his exclusive agreement with HBO.

For Canelo, this is still only the beginning. The way he sees it, the best is yet to come and the fans will be able to watch him every step of the way on HBO.

Look: Golovkin's photo pasted on Lemeiux mitts

I used to see fighters working on with a heavy bag that has a photo of their upcoming opponent pasted on it. But on mitts? It's something new. Two identical photos of Gennady Golovkin were pasted on David Lemeiux mitts. 

Lemieux will face Golovkin for a middleweight title unification on Saturday, Oct. 17 at the Madison Square Garden.

Golovkin has not faced a fighter like me before - David Lemeiux

Middleweight titlist David Lemieux (34-2, 31 KOs) of Montreal, Quebec, Canada said that Golovkin has not faced a fighter like him before during a public media workout held at the historic Forum in Montreal today.

Lemieux is set to face middleweight multi-titlist Gennady "GGG" Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs) in a highly anticipated title unification on Saturday, Oct. 17 at the Madison Square Garden.
"Golovkin has not faced a fighter like me before. I am an aggressive fighter and I am confident in my abilities. I feel that I will be successful on Oct. 17." said Lemeiux.

If you're going to look at it, yes, Golovkin may have not faced a fighter like Lemeiux before. Lemieux is the type of fighter who really comes forward and throws hard punches. But the question there is: how durable he is when hit also by power punches coming forward?

We all knew that both fighters are capable of knocking opponents out. I think the difference is that Golovkin really has power in both hands capable of knocking anyone in the division with just one punch, but Lemieux overwhelms an opponent with series of punches wearing them down before stopping them.

This is a very exciting fight and is interesting to watch.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

VIKTOR POSTOL MEDIA WORKOUT PHOTOS AND QUOTES

POSTOL SET TO FACE LUCAS MATTHYSSE ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 3 LIVE ON HBO AFTER DARK UNDER-CARD FIGHTERS ANTONIO OROZCO, MERCITO GESTA, JULIAN RAMIREZ AND NICK ARCE ALSO FEATURED AT WORKOUT


LOS ANGELES (Sept. 22, 2015) In preparation for his October 3 battle with Lucas "La Máquina" Matthysse (37-3, 34 KOs) for the vacant WBC World Super Lightweight Championship, Viktor "The Iceman" Postol (27-0, 11 KOs) hosted a Los Angeles media workout at Wild Card Gym with his trainer Freddie Roach on Monday, Sept. 21. Co-main event fighter Antonio "Relentless" Orozco (22-0-0, 15 KOs); and fighters features on the non-televised undercard: Mercito "No Mercy" Gesta (28-1-2, 16 KOs), Julian "El Camarón" Ramirez (14-0, 8 KOs), and Nick Arce (4-0, 4 KOs) also participated in the Los Angeles media workout at Wild Card Gym.

In the co-main event on Oct. 3, former three-division world champion Humberto "La Zorrita" Soto (65-8-2, 35 KOs) of Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico will take on undefeated contender Antonio "Relentless" Orozco of San Diego, Calif. in a career defining 10-round super lightweight showdown.

Also on Oct. 3, undercard fighter and East Los Angeles legacy Julian "El Camarón" Ramirez will look to keep his undefeated record intact when he faces Mexican contender Hugo "Olímpico" Partida (20-5-2, 15 KOs) in a 10-round featherweight bout, and Los Angeles local sensation Nick Arce is scheduled to fight in a six-round featherweight bout. In addition, former world title contender Mercito Gesta will face three-time world title challenger Martin "El Brochas" Honorio (32-9-1, 16 KOs) of Mexico City, Mexico, in a classic Philippines vs. Mexico 10-round lightweight bout.

Here is what the fighters had to say at the Los Angeles media workout about their upcoming fights on Oct. 3:

VIKTOR "THE ICEMAN" POSTOL, Number One Contender for the
Vacant WBC Super Lightweight Title and Former WBC International Super Lightweight Champion:

"I am about to face the strongest, most heavy handed fighter I have ever met in the ring. That is the reason I am at the Wild Card Gym with Freddie Roach. This is my third fight with Freddie. When I first walked into the Wild Card, I was struck by the smallness of it all-then I walked around and saw the pictures of fighters and champions. These are the fighters Freddie turned into champions. I saw the blood and sweat on the two rings. I now know the history of the greatest place in the world to train.

"Freddie never changed by style of fighting. Instead he made small important changes-a movement here and there, tweaking things. He and I are together when we go into the ring Oct. 3. We are prepared to fight. We will win."

FREDDIE ROACH, International Boxing Hall of Fame Trainer, Seven-Time Trainer of the Year Award Winner and Trainer of Viktor Postol:

"Postol doesn't know it yet but he's my new favorite fighter. He works very hard in the gym, does everything we ask and he can bring it. We can win this fight. It is a tough fight but I know we can win, and Postol knows we will win."

ANTONIO "RELENTLESS" OROZCO, Undefeated Super Lightweight Contender:

"It's a blessing to be fighting on this card on Oct. 3. I've worked hard my entire career and I think this is the stage that we've been looking for, to be in the undercard of such a big event with Matthysse vs. Postol.

"Fighting Humberto Soto means doors could open for me with my career, and this is what my team and I have worked for.

"Our priority is to win, whatever I have to do to win, whatever the fight calls for, we're willing to step up and get a win that night. I'm grateful for this opportunity; it's been a long time coming. I hope to be victorious on Oct. 3."

MERCITO "NO MERCY" GESTA, Former World Title Contender:

"This is a big opportunity to showcase my skills, my abilities at a big event because it will open up more opportunities for me. Of course, I have to do well in the ring that night. I'm excited and happy to be on the undercard for two of the biggest names in boxing.

"My strategy is to focus on staying on our technique for my opponent. Every opponent is different. I have changed my training focus accordingly since you need to adapt to their style. I need to focus and really follow what my team and me have been working on. Thank you to the boxing fans, particularly the Filipino fans, thanks for supporting me. I promise you an exciting fight for Oct. 3."

JULIAN "EL CAMARÓN" RAMIREZ, Top Featherweight Prospect:

"I'm a big fan of Matthysse so I am excited to fight on this undercard on Oct. 3. I know my opponent is a brawler so I've been working a lot on my boxing and if I have to brawl, then that's what I'll do.

"I'm ready to give the fans an exciting fight. I love the fans and they like to see brawls so I'm going to go in there and try to take the guy's head off."

NICK ARCE, Top Featherweight Prospect:

"I feel awesome to be on this great undercard of Matthysse vs. Postol. It's a big venue and it comes with a lot of pressure. At the same time, I don't let that pressure get to me. I don't let it bug me. I just stay focused on the game plan and listen to my corner and do what I do best.

"My game plan is to be smart in the ring and to focus-to be aware of everything my opponent throws and what I can come back with. I'm going to be open-minded and don't be afraid to do work in the ring."

Monday, September 21, 2015

wanted to leave them -- Marvin Sonsona

 

Another chance for a world title wasted.

Former world champion, Marvin Sonsona's fight with featherweight titlist, American Gary Russell Jr. has been canceled.

According to Philboxing report, Sosona failed to show up at his training camp in Cebu.

Promoter/matchmaker Sampson Lewkowics, who handles Sonsona, had to cancel the fight, which was scheduled this month.

“If he [Sonsona] had no proper training we don’t want the Philippines to look bad", Lewkowics told New Standard/boxingmirror.com.

I reached out to Sonsona to ask his comment regarding the cancellation of his fight, but the talented southpaw was reluctant to provide reasons as to why he was not able to return to training camp.

"Ayaw ko na din magsalita, gusto ko na ngang umalis sa kanila", Sonsona told SPB in Filipino (I don't want to talk about it, I even wanted to leave them) referring to his handler and promoter.

Sonsona (20-1-1, 15 KOs) also told that his contract with his handler will expire in 2017.

It was Gello-ani that guided the then 19-year-old Sonsona to become the Philippines' youngest boxing champion when Sonsona captured the super flyweight world title back in 2010 in Canada.

After early success in the sport of boxing, Sosona's career stalled after salvaging a draw against Alejandro Hernandez in his first title defense.

Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. also stopped, the then-undefeated, Sonsona in Round 4, when the Gensan native moved up in weight for the title fight at super bantamweight in 2010 -- which was his only fight that year.

Sonsona came back in October 2011 -- his only fight also in that year -- and registered a decision victory over Juan Carlos Jacobo.

Since his first defeat, Sonsona registered six consecutive victories, avenging his loss to Vazquez in a rematch and sensational one-punch knockout win over Akifumi Shimoda.

Sonsona's career seemed on the right track until this supposed to be a step-up fight with Russell was canceled due to seemingly unprofessional behavior.